Wednesday, April 30, 2008

11 Feb 2008, #8a. "Madeleine Brand" - 5m02s

(This is a repost, with repaired URL's for the correct mp3. Take another listen!)

I felt like I needed something firmly in a minor mode. How much more minor could I get than C# minor? The answer is none. None more minor.

Spinal Tap references aside, this piece is interesting mostly because I played it all with my left hand, partly as an exercise, and partly because my right was exhausted. You can hear the one-handedness in the deliberate feel. My left fingers are definitely not as dexterous or gentle as my right. Also (obviously) there is a little pause in the treble whenever I have to jump down to play a bass note. The melody, when there is one, is quite fractured because of this. It makes for a unique texture.





download (option-click for Mac users, right-click and save for PC users)
Recorded on February 11th, 2008, at Peace Church of the Brethren, in Portland, OR, with a Zoom H4 Digital Recorder. Edited with Audacity music software.

No comments: