Tuesday, February 12, 2008

23 Jan 2008, #2. Top Hat - 4m29s

When I come up with an interesting melody, especially if it's a bit unusual, I often have trouble remembering it. Such is the case with this piece. 46 seconds in, I come up with a measure of tune, but the fifth time I repeat, it gets changed just a little. It's like I'm playing Telephone with myself.

So, I took the mistake and ran with it – it became an excuse to play anything. What came were the relentless, ever-searching eighth notes in the right hand, over a methodical bass.

I realized that this piece was becoming circular and wasn't going to end well, so for the first time I consciously decided (as I was still playing) that I would fade it out on the recording.




download (option-click for Mac users, right-click and save for PC users)
Recorded on January 23rd, 2008, at Peace Church of the Brethren, in Portland, OR, with a Zoom H4 Digital Recorder. Edited with Audacity music software.

No comments: