Sunday, January 20, 2008

10 Dec 2007, #1e. Ontario - 4m30s

The end of "Manitoba" left me with a little compound ostinato for my left hand – three against two. After over twenty solid minutes with no break, my hand was a little tired, and the riff mutated from five to four notes (two on top, two on bottom). I tried to play with it, change from straight to swung, go back and forth from three against two to regular 4/4. I also tried to do a little phasing, just with one hand. Phasing one hand against the other is pretty difficult; phasing your left thumb against the rest of your left hand is REALLY difficult; and though I think I achieved something interesting, I didn't actually phase. It ends with a whimper rather than a bang.

This is one of the few pieces so far that I've edited quite a bit. I went on way too long, so on the computer I cut off a few (boring) minutes at the end. Trust me, it salvages the piece from the trash heap of dullness.




download (option-click for Mac users)
Recorded on December 10th, 2007, at Peace Church of the Brethren, in Portland, OR, with a Zoom H4 Digital Recorder. Edited with Audacity music software.

1 comment:

Kris said...

The beginning reminds me of Satie being repetitive (liked we talked about), but with musical ideas that didn't exist when he was writing (or at least ideas he didn't care to employ).

You are making so much more out of repetition already! And I dig the little classical-sounding snippets that creep in every few minutes.