Wednesday, January 23, 2008

7 Jan 2008, #1. Miranda - 7m14s

A month passed between sessions, across the new year, and I listened to the Canada pieces many times, thinking about what I would do differently when it came time to record again. I had a few specific goals. First, I wanted to be more conscious of the length of the pieces. I wanted to try to wrap each one up before it reached the six-minute mark. I didn't plan to use a clock, but I hoped that my internal timers would work. Secondly, I wanted to be more adventurous in style, and commit more to each style. That is to say, I didn't want each piece to meander as much stylistically.

I finally got to record again on January 7, 2007. I don't think I reached all of my goals, but I couldn't be happier with the results.

For this effort, the first of the day, I tried to stay as far away from pop/blues as possible. I picked out a four-note motif, and was off. The cadence at around 3:15 I began regretting before I even played it, knowing I'd have to, but I think I made the best of a bad situation, and immediately searched for a dissonance to counter it.

The swung section at the 5 minute mark I am especially pleased with, even though it means that I failed at keeping it one style, and couldn't keep my hands off of yet another blues progression. Looking back, of course, it didn't help that my four-note motif outlines a E flat dominant nine chord. I guess that's where my head is.




download (option-click for Mac users, right-click and save for PC users)
Recorded on January 7th, 2008, at Peace Church of the Brethren, in Portland, OR, with a Zoom H4 Digital Recorder. Edited with Audacity music software.

2 comments:

Karen said...

I also really enjoy the swingy bit at the 5 minute mark, and the dissonance that accompanies it, and the way it picks up energy and momentum as you develop it.

I listened to this last week and again today, and both times there is a snippet that immediately makes me think you're copying (paying tribute to?) Debussy. It's at 3:54, and lingers for maybe 20 or 30 seconds. I think it might be from The Little Shepherd, from his Children's Corner Suite? Are you familiar with it? I could be wrong about which piece it's from, but I'm almost sure.

Anyways, the resemblance is striking, but I really like that the rhythm of that part seems essential to building up to the swing at 5:00, which doesn't sound like Debussy at all.

Also, the value of the 3:15 cadence may be up for discussion, but it's worth it for the buildup leading up to it.

mch said...

I've played that whole suite many times, so I'm sure it could have slipped in, but I'd have to go back and listen to The Little Shepherd again to see if I actually cribbed it. I know that I definitely quote from Jimbo's Lullaby in a piece that I'll be posting in a few weeks. Thanks for the keen ears, Karen!