Sunday, January 6, 2008

4 Dec 2007, #4a: "Newfoundland" - 5m41s

First, let me say that in the first 24 hours of this blog, I am really happy with the response! Thank you to everyone who has already listened and written me. So I figure I'll post the next piece a little sooner than I had planned. As in, right now...

This is a twelve minute piece that I have split in two. The first section, in F# major, starts very peacefully. About two minutes in, I add a little Mixolydian flavor (some flat sevenths), and it seems to shake the piece out of its doldrums just a bit. It keeps churning and settling and churning, with additional notes outside the mode adding some unrest, but the climax is pretty much just Mixolydian. It dies down, and segues directly into #4b: Labrador.




download
Recorded on December 4th, 2007, at Peace Church of the Brethren, in Portland, OR, with a Zoom H4 Digital Recorder. Edited with Audacity music software.

No comments: